28 Aug 2013

The Entomologist: Part Three.

This post wasn't due to make an appearance till September but as I am still without a computer and this was the only post lurking in my drafts folder, early entomology it is!  August in the UK has been incredible for us bug-hunting types (less incredible for the kale and chard my mother has been trying to grow) as the weather has bought the butterflies out by the thousands.
insect 7

This butterfly is called the Comma because he has a white comma marking on the underside of his wings.  He landed on me and hitched a ride for about half a mile; my friend believes that butterflies signify pregnancy so perhaps he was attracted to bump?

WP_001977

This small tortoiseshell butterfly (Aglais urticae) is one of hundreds that have been enjoying the sunshine and the buddleia outside our house.

15

I love these little dudes! The Cinnabar moth caterpillars (Tyria jacobaeae) are apparently brightly coloured to warn of predators but I am of the opinion it just makes them easier for me to spot and bother!

10


Okay so I have literally no idea what this little fellow is; he looks like a ladybird but has none of the right colours or markings.  Google seems equally clueless - any ideas?

insect 4

The Marbled white butterfly is just exquisite, apparently no other British butterfly shares its markings.  This one chilled out on the lawn with James and I as we drank our tea, I just love a lazy photo opportunity.

insect 5

This little moth had made his home in the mop and was required to make a rather damp and disgruntled getaway when I attempted to clean the kitchen.  He sat on a holly leaf drying out in the sun for a half an hour before bimbling on his way again.

insect 6

And finally a slightly grotesque photograph of one of the hundreds of shed spider exoskeletons that are hidden in the walls outside - I think the lack of rain means none of them are getting washed away.

I truly love British Summer Time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment