30 Dec 2012

My photo-a-day 365 project.

365 1

In 2011 I embarked on a photo-a-day project with my shiny new point-and-shoot, the Canon Powershot.  I knew very little about photography aside from the rule of thirds and how to take very unattractive pictures of sweaty friends in clubs, but I had endless enthusiasm (and an ongoing desire to procrastinate from revision).

365 2

I loved having a reason to take pictures every day, to appreciate the small things in my house and life.  Some of my pictures were horrendous and some were the first photos I have ever felt proud of.  But most of all I learnt - I learnt about angles and colours, the use of flash, the use of lines and how even the most mundane household object has an interesting angle.  

365 3

I am not going to do this project again (a few memories of sitting up in bed in the wee hours thinking oh my gosh I forgot to take a picture promptly followed by desperately trying to make an unwanted cup of tea look artistic keep me certain of this decision) however for furthering my skills, I could not have done anything of more value.
Now I have a posh camera, I have a vague understanding of what is meant by f-stop and I have dabbled in the world of manual settings but nothing has taught me as much as actually forcing myself to take something novel every single day.

365 4


365 5

Have any of you done a 365 project before?  I'd love it if you could link it to me!

12 comments:

  1. I haven't done a 365 project before, but I think I might now! It always seemed very intimidating to me haha. But I do need the practice, and to learn more about my camera. I love your collage of pictures as well- it would be great to have my own this time next year! Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) the collage of pictures did make me feel a little smug! I would fully advise it!! x

      Delete
  2. I don't think I'd ever be up for a project of that size, but I'm also so impressed by people who pull it off! Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) it was super useful having my boyfriend to badger me into taking pictures on days my enthusiasm was waning!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like such a great project. I'll admit I'm quite forgetful at times but think I'd be able to manage, and with a final result like yours, I'm considering giving it a try for this upcoming year!

    Btw, I linked one of your posts to my blog!

    x, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwh thank you for the link!! I think taking daily pictures becomes so deep rooted - by the end it took several weeks after I finished to stop having small panics that I had forgotten to take my pictures!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, I am so tempted to attempt to do this in 2013, though I am awfully forgetful!
    Be proud of what youve done!
    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could push all people to give it a go, it such a wonderful feeling when it is completed. Thank you very much x

      Delete
  5. This blew me away!! The collage really shows the magnitue of the work that you put into this!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that is so so lovely to hear :) :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, great job! Your photograph collages are simply amazing. I have it on my goal list to do this as well for 2013 and for similar reasons: to finally learn how to use my "posh" camera! Thanks for the push!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) If you are doing it this year and uploading them onto the web as you go, please link me - I'd love to follow your progress! I love seeing how people grow and develop through their pictures as the year flies by.

      Delete